Monday 17 July 2017

Our All-Powerful God



“For it was You who created my inward parts;
You knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I will praise You because I have been remarkably
and wonderfully made.
Your works are wonderful, and I know this very well.
My bones were not hidden from You
when I was made in the secret,
When I was formed in the depths of the earth.”
Psalm 139: 13 – 15 HCSB

A young boy was traveling by airplane to visit his grandparents sat beside a seminary professor on the plane. The boy was reading a Sunday School take home paper when the professor decided to have some fun with him. “Young man,” said the professor, “If you can tell me something God can do, I’ll give you a big shiny apple.” The boy thought for a moment and then replied, “Mister, if you can tell me something God can’t do, I’ll give you a whole barrel of apples!”

That innocent response from the young boy captures the reality of the immensity of God’s ability-there is nothing He cannot do! That is a way of expressing God’s omnipotence; He has the ability to do all things. Our God is all powerful.

“Is anything impossible for the Lord?”
Genesis 18:14a HCSB

“I know You can do anything and no plan of Yours can be thwarted”
Job 42:2 HCSB

“Oh, Lord God! You Yourself made the heavens and earth by Your great power and with Your outstretched arm. Nothing is too difficult for You!”
Jeremiah 32:17 HCSB

“Look, I am Yahweh, the God of all flesh. Is anything too difficult for Me?”
Jeremiah 32:27 HCSB

“For nothing will be impossible with God.”
Luke 1:37 HCSB

I often stand in awe of God’s power when I consider that He can do anything effortlessly. There are no bounds or limits to His power. Unlike us human beings or anything else in creation, God does not need to expend more energy on one thing than another thing. In fact, He does not need to rest to replenish His energy after completing any task.

“Do you not know? Have you not heard? Yahweh is the everlasting God, the Creator of the whole earth. He never grows faint or weary…”
Isaiah 40:28 HCSB

This segment of Psalm 139 (verses 13-15) only deals with one aspect of the demonstration of God’s immense power. Creation is an expression of God’s unlimited ability. Psalm 19:1-6 and Romans 1:20 are passages of the Bible that point this out to us quite clearly. Psalm 139 however focuses on the phenomena of man’s creation and birth. As a medical doctor myself, I am just astounded by even just the complexity of the mechanisms of the physiological processes of our physical bodies. I recognize that aside this, there is still a whole lot more in the unseen immaterial aspect of man. All of it demonstrating that our God is undoubtedly awesome.

I even stand more amazed when I contemplate on the reality that all of God’s greatness and power displayed in creation is described in Scriptures as “the mere fringes of His force, the faintest whisper…” (Job 26:14). Think about that. All of creation is just the outskirts, the border, and periphery of God’s ability. Can you then imagine the fullness of His ability or the thunder of His magnificent power?

“…Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think…”
Ephesians 3:20 KJV

Muse with me this week dear friend on this truth about God’s awesome power and allow His Spirit fill your heart with comfort, confidence and assurance of victory.

My song for the week is "Our God" by Chris Tomlin

1 comment:

  1. God's reach and wisdom is beyond what man's mind can grasp...Great to know we have this treasure in earthen vessels...Great Stuff!

    ReplyDelete