Sunday 4 June 2017

Transformed Speech (2)


I recently read the true story of a Music Teacher who made a difference in a student’s life by speaking the right words to him. Unknown to the teacher and even his own family, this student had been suffering verbal abuse at the hands of his older brother and this had severely affected the student. His academic performance had been poor all through the year and even his social functioning had become quite impaired. It had become so bad that he had decided to commit suicide on the last day of the school year. He left a suicide note at home but decided to meet his teacher for a final time to receive the result of his end of year assessment.

In the teacher’s words, the student looked terrible. He had sunken eyes with dark circles under them. He appeared pale and was wearing the clothes he had worn for the last few weeks of the school year. He then said to his teacher: “I know that I am getting a low grade on my final. I realize that I have not been participating in class and that I am an embarrassment to others. I am lazy, selfish, stupid and an ugly no-good-for-anything person. I have no place on this earth and what’s more, no one can ever love a person like me. I am a hopeless case with absolutely no future.”

When he finished, the teacher faced him and said to him, “Edward, your final grade is an A”. The student was completely surprised. “You are giving me an A? Me? Why would you give me an A when I did such a poor job in class, on my assignments and on my final exam. Why would you do that?”

The teacher’s answer to Edward was this: “You may appear to be a D student, but you are an A person. I believe in you now and I will always believe in you. I am here for you now and I will always be here for you. Never, ever forget that. Now, go and create the life you dream of. Believe in yourself. I will be watching. And by the way Edward-I love you”.

Later that night, the teacher got a call from a Priest in Edward’s Church thanking her on behalf of Edward’s family for saving his life. The words the teacher spoke to him that day changed Edward’s life. He had left the teacher’s office feeling positive and uplifted for the first time in his life. Even though he already had a rope hanging in the closet for his planned suicide, Edward abandoned the plan after hearing those words from his teacher.

According to the story, Edward re-enrolled in the Music Theory Class the next semester and worked hard, passing his final exam this time 100% and had a genuine A+. All these happened in the 1970s.

By 2010, Edward had become a successful Dentist in California, married to a beautiful wife with 4 sweet children. He was also volunteering with abused children, helping them to find love, acceptance and hope.

This story is a powerful illustration of how we ought to use our words. Can you just imagine what would have happened if Edward never heard those words from his teacher? Each day, life presents us with countless opportunities to use our words (our 16, 000 words, remember?). You have a choice on how you will use your words but I will direct our hearts to some verses of Scripture from the New Living Translation:

“The words of the godly are like sterling silver…”
Proverbs 10:20

“The words of the godly encourage many…”
Proverbs 10:21

“The mouth of the godly person gives wise advice…”
Proverbs 10:31

“The lips of the godly speak helpful words…”
Proverbs 10:32

“Wise words bring many benefits…”
Proverbs 12:14

“Kind words are like honey-sweet to the soul and healthy for the body”
Proverbs 16:24

“Do not use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them”
Ephesians 4:29

Rather than engaging in “rotten” speech that tears people down and destroys relationships, I encourage you to adopt a transformed speech that brings health, healing, encouragement and life in every sphere of human existence. This week, whether at home, with your spouse or children, with neighbours or at work with your colleagues, say the right words.


To be continued…

Note: The full story of Edward and his Music Teacher can be read on https://letterpile.com/creative-writing/The-Power-of-Words-An-Amazing-Story

4 comments: